Wheaton City Council at-large position up for election in April following Jeanne Ives' resignation
|Wheaton City Councilwoman Jeanne Ives resigned Monday after winning the Illinois State House election for the 42nd District on Nov. 6.|
Following Councilwoman Jeanne Ives' resignation Monday, an at-large position on the Wheaton City Council will now be up for election in the city's municipal election next April.
Ives resigned in light of her election to the Illinois House to represent the 42nd District. In the four-month interim before April's municipal election, the city council will appoint a replacement for Ives.
Those interested in running in the municipal election must file their petition for candidacy with the Wheaton City Clerk between Nov. 19 and 26 if seeking a district position and between Dec. 17 and 24 if seeking the at-large position.
Petitions are available in the Office of the City Clerk at Wheaton City Hall, 303 W. Wesley St. In addition to the one at-large position that will be vacant in the upcoming election, one city council position is open in each of the city’s four districts: north, south, east and west.
In order to qualify as a candidate, those interested in running must be registered voters of Wheaton, and they also must live within the corporate limits of the city for at least one year preceding the election.
The nonpartisan primary petition necessary to run for a district position must be signed by at least 25 registered city of Wheaton voters residing within the district the candidate is seeking to represent.
The petition for the at-large position must be signed by at least 81 registered city of Wheaton voters residing within the corporate limits of the city.
In addition to the petition, candidates also must file a Statement of Candidacy, an optional Loyalty Oath and a receipt that indicates the candidate has filed a Statement of Economic Interest with the DuPage County Clerk.
The Office of the City Clerk is open from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The office will be closed Nov. 22 and 23 for the Thanksgiving holiday. The office will be open from 2 until 5 p.m. Dec. 24.
If more than four candidates file for each position, a consolidated primary election will be held Feb. 26. The consolidated election will be held April 9.
For more information, please contact the Office of the City Clerk at (630) 260-2012.
More Wheaton News
- West Chicago provides disaster relief information to residents
- Wheaton North student body releases one-shot lip sync video
- Girl Scouts provide Cosley Zoo with ‘Little Free Library’
- Wheaton man charged with possession of child pornography
- Pair of runs to close down Wheaton streets over the weekend
- Wheaton Warrenville South nets overtime win over York
- Bill allowing DuPage County to create stormwater utility fee passes State Senate
- Local retiree spends hours volunteering among the sea creatures of the Shedd Aquarium
- Wheaton city manager names Deputy Schultz as new fire chief
- St. Francis freshman gymnast named Junior Olympian